the hospital.


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana » Volta » Ho
April 22nd 2010
Published: June 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

So this is a quick update about our time at the hospital!
Cuban doctor number one: Dr. Ramirez (or however you spell his crazy name.) is from Cuba in case you wondered..... He is the gynecologist so a lot of the patients he sees are women! Mainly in his office we have seen pregnant women who have anemia, couples seeking fertility treatment, women with fibroids or cysts in their ovaries and pregnant women with malaria. He out of all the doctors is the least professional. I know that is very rude but he is.

Generally there was very little for us to actually do at the Hospital. We were taught how to identify how far along a pregnancy was according to the position of the baby in the mother's stomach. We were also able to witness a few births and one very terrifying breeched still birth. We also had the opportunity to watch Cuban doctor one perform a few surgeries. We watched him remove an ovarian cyst and a hysterectomy. I may have fainted during the first surgery (thats only because we saw the two surgeons pull apart tthe muscle.... it was very distressing!). It was very educationaly though and things, the most inbteresting part I think.

Cuban doctor Number two, although we don't know his name, was extremely proffessional. He was a GP which meant he did have a lot more mundane cases but it was still interesting to understand the manner in which he preformed his assesment etc.
His wife was very eccentric, she turned up one day and just randomly took our photo.... in a very excitable manner.

The Ghanian doctor was also one of our favourites. He took us on one of his ward rounds. After he's checked out all his patients he then took us round to the most interesting cases, explaining the treatment provided in Ghana for that disease etc.

All round, the hospital wasn't all that much activity packed but very educational.




Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0433s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb