Mother Won't You Weep?


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana » Northern » Tamale
March 5th 2008
Published: March 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Heavy LoadHeavy LoadHeavy Load

This mother is an accused witch living in a camp in Northern Ghana. She must fetch water from a dam two kilometres from her home.
Note from Nichole: Water has been on my mind a lot lately, It’s the dry season and it hasn’t rained for five months. The earth and trees are scorched and I’m told that it’s only going to get worse before it gets better. I don't want to leave you with a terrible impression. In my short time here I have seen countless projects instigated by development agencies. Some of the money is wasted or misused - but infrastructure for water projects seems like one of the things that makes an immediate and tangible difference. It's amazing to see how people's lives are changed when they have access to clean water. Unfortunately for every one borehole (well) that is drilled -- it seems like hundreds more are needed.
Last week I visited a few rural communities and I met many women whose lives revolve around the search for water. I couldn’t think of a way to do their plight justice - so I will just let my pictures speak for themselves. This poem is for the women of Ghana.

Mother Won’t You Weep?

Oh Mother - are you watching?
Do you see how your daughters are suffering?
Baby on back
Women's WorkWomen's WorkWomen's Work

These girls are from Chereponi - a village in Northern Ghana. Some of them make money by fetching water for people from this dam and selling it. Everyone uses this dam to meet their water needs - including cattle and pigs.
- bare foot - walking for miles in search of your lifeblood.
Oh Mother - Do you see how your daughters are suffering?
Sharing a cup with livestock - dying from preventable illnesses.
Oh Mother - do you see how your daughters are suffering?
Sacrificing an education in the name of water.
Oh Mother - do you see how your daughters are suffering?
Nursing gardens - scorched brown by the sun.
Oh Mother - do you see how your daughters are suffering?
Is it not enough to make you weep?



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Women and WaterWomen and Water
Women and Water

These women are also accused witches living in a camp. Despite their age - they must fetch water and carry these heavy containers.
GrandmotherGrandmother
Grandmother

This woman has no one to help her carry her heavy load. The dam is 2 kilometres from her home and she must walk up and down a steep hill.
Stunted DevelopmentStunted Development
Stunted Development

This well was donated by an organization in Canada. It would make the lives of the women much easier if they were able to use it. Unfortunately they can't pay their $500 bill - so their water has been cut off.
Day's WorkDay's Work
Day's Work

These girls spend a good portion of their day fetching water for the dam - it's needed for cooking, drinking and washing.


Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 58; dbt: 0.055s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb