In a Strange Land


Advertisement
Ethiopia's flag
Africa » Ethiopia
March 29th 2008
Published: May 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Ethiopia is like no where else in Africa or the world. It's unique.


Even the food is different. Plates are replaced by Injera - a pancake like bread make from Teff flour. Teff flour is an annual grass native to the Ethiopian highlands. Teff is high in fibre and iron and gives the Injera a sour taste. A variety of stews and salads are placed on the Injera. Pieces of Injera are then torn off and used to grasp the food. The Injera is therefore food, a utensil and a plate.



An early image of the trip that will stay with me was when I was on a local bus. I had crossed the Sudanese border the previous day. It was early in the morning on a packed bus. A man walked onto the bus dressed in a white gown. He was carrying a large metal cross. Everyone (except me) stood up, one by one to receive the blessing of the Orthodox Priest. The Axumite kingdom made Christianity the official state religion in Ethiopia before the Roman Catholic Church became the official religion of the Roman Empire.



The highlights of my time in Ethiopia included the visits to the castle and palaces of Gondar; the rock hewn churches of Lalibela, the obelisks of Axum and the unique cultures of the Lower Omo Valley.


Orthodox Christians believe that Ethiopia is the home of the Ark of the Covenant. One of my photos shows the Chapel of the Church of St Mary of Zion in Axum which is believed to be the home of the Ark. Only one priest is allowed into the Chapel. The Axumite Kingdom was one of the great civilisations of the ancient world.



Thanks to Aili and Bobby (le_flow) for buying me some drinks in Addis. It was good to meet as I've followed le_flow's blog since the start of their trip.


Additional photos below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



29th November 2011

Omo Valley
The Omo Valley is such a beautiful place. The people are the most unique individuals I do believe that you will ever see in your life. I hope that the construction of the Gibe III Hydroelectric dam does not destroy these wonderful people. Excellent photos!
22nd January 2012
Painting that depicts the Ark of the Covenant in the new St Mary of Zion Church, Axum

Blessings to be Rejoiced
I feel the Seventh one watching and feel that the writings were drawn from many cultures from around the world.
30th August 2012

Ethiopia-1st encounter
Going to visit Ethiopia for the first time. Plan to see northern historic route of Gondar, Simien Mountains, Axum and Lalibela, then head south to Arbra Mich and surrounding Omo Valley to visit with the local tribes, and see 3 market days, concluding with a trip to the Mursi. Bon Voyage, we hope!
10th February 2020

Stunning pictures. What an intriguing place. And the ark of the covenant. This is the stuff Indiana Jones movies are made from.
10th February 2020

Thanks. I think everyone should have Ethiopia on their list of places they must visit!
5th April 2021
Homo Sapiens Adaltu - 160.000 years old - National Museum, Addis Ababa

Great
Really great. May I use this picture in my blog, video please? Credit your name?
22nd April 2021
Homo Sapiens Adaltu - 160.000 years old - National Museum, Addis Ababa

Picture
Who are you? Note the picture is very low resolution, so you may be better finding another picture.

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 21; dbt: 0.0454s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb