Seeing stripes


Advertisement
Ethiopia's flag
Africa » Ethiopia » Southern Nations Region » Arba Minch
February 7th 2007
Published: March 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Nechisar National ParkNechisar National ParkNechisar National Park

Me with zebras!
An hour after I was supposed to have been collected, I was still sitting on a rock outside Textiles. The sunrise was impressive and birds began to sing their morning chorus. Still I waited.

Eventually, the promised 4-wheel drive arrived, with not only Michael (a random German tourist Clare had met in a shop and introduced to me to share the costs of going to Nechisar National Park) but an American couple, working in Addis, an Ethiopian living in Germany and his friend from Addis, in Arba Minch on holiday. Crowded, but cheap! Our guide, Kapo - who is mentioned by name in the Lonely Planet - sat in the back.

Driving into Nechisar National Park, the first climb gives amazing views of the lake before dropping down onto savannah - and the first sightings of zebra. They are brown and white, rather than the expected black and white and are truly special. This was a real “I’m in Africa!” moment.

Almost as impressive as seeing the zebra, was seeing Grant’s gazelle and a pair of Abyssinian Ground Hornbills. We stopped by a river on the way back, where there were so many butterflies; it was like being in a dream!

After lunch in Arba Minch, and a stop at the Bekele Molla Hotel for a drink, we headed to Lake Chamo, to see hippos and crocodiles. The trip was perfect - hippos, crocs, and lots of birds (including White Pelicans) and ended as the sun was setting!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Lake ChamoLake Chamo
Lake Chamo

Our guide and the boatman.


18th September 2007

Arba Minch
Heading out to Ethiopia next week - I'll be working at Arba Minch. Loved your lake photo.

Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 76; dbt: 0.0806s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb