What can I say to help you understand the way it is here?


Advertisement
Ethiopia's flag
Africa » Ethiopia » Amhara Region » Bahir Dar
June 24th 2009
Published: June 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Lake Tana and very old treeLake Tana and very old treeLake Tana and very old tree

The lake is very large and it is a water source, bath tub and washing machine to many locals.
I love the Bahir Dar area. I love it. But it is so sad because it's citizens deserve more. The city by the lake is a mixed blend of new and old, with condos and huts within the same area of town. Just walking the streets you get a sense of all these time periods colliding into one. There is so much I could write and I have volumes of photo's of the rural areas, the hospitals and Bahir Dar. But for now here are some photo's until I can condense the information into a non-novel form. I am a bit overwhelmed with the work that has to be done there and the best way to move forward. Stay Tuned!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

During an event at the stadiumDuring an event at the stadium
During an event at the stadium

All MALES...watch a Sunday morning Ta Kawn Do Match... thousands of men.
A HomeA Home
A Home

This house by the way is not as bad as most. There are also some very nice ones as well.
Bikes, walkers, truck, taxis, etc...Bikes, walkers, truck, taxis, etc...
Bikes, walkers, truck, taxis, etc...

They crowd the streets of the city and it is a real adventure to ride a bike to the market.
Walking SticksWalking Sticks
Walking Sticks

Many men carry walking sticks and almost all people from the rural areas carry them. The baskets on the sticks are for injera, the must have spice in Ethiopia.
Selling GoodsSelling Goods
Selling Goods

Going to market is a sensory overload. I didn't take pictures in the big market because you don't want someone to take your camera but it is where thousands of people go to buy and sell everything.


25th June 2009

amazing
Kim, What amazing pictures! Thanks for bringing this world into my living room. It makes me so grateful for my home, air conditioning and healthy children. You are doing such a awesome thing helping. It's painful seeing the suffering they endure, especailly the kids. It is overwhelming, so much so, it's a natural reaction to want to stick your head in the sand and go on with our life. Bless you for diving in to help and showing everyone what it is like in Ethiopia.

Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0702s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb