Addis Ababa


Advertisement
Ethiopia's flag
Africa » Ethiopia » Addis Ababa Region » Addis Ababa
June 27th 2005
Published: June 27th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Addis AbabaAddis AbabaAddis Ababa

The centre of Addis Ababa. 7.500 feet hight above sea level. The city is busy in the day time with people going about their normal life. I like it.
Addis Ababa, which means "New Flower" in Amharic, is an intriguingly indigenous African city. Unlike many other African capitals, it's founding, growth and development, are not rooted in colonization. Founded in 1896 by Emperor Menelik II, Addis Ababa is the last in a succession of capitals of the great Abyssinian empire dating back to the pre-Christian Axum (Brunn & Williams 273). Italian Occupation of Addis Ababa: 1936-1941
For a brief period between 1936 and 1939, the conquering Italians under Mussolini attempted to Europeanize this lively and vibrant city. Because their rule was so short-lived, the Italian influence on the geography and society of Addis Ababa was minimal and never amounted to a full scale colonization.
Post War Urbanization in Addis Ababa
Growth occurred in three waves following world war II, with the lagest population boom during the late 60's, as rural to urban migration reached its peak. War and famines in the last 10 years have increased in-migration to the capital. Ethnicity
Rural migrants come villages all across the nation and dozens of ethnic and linguistic backgrounds. Amhara, Oromo and Gurage are the dominant ethnicities in this diverse city. The Eucalyptus Belt and Near City Agriculture
Addis Ababa was saved in
Addis AbabaAddis AbabaAddis Ababa

The capital of Ethiopia
the 1920's by an ambitious campaign to plant Eucalyptus trees in and around the city as a fuel wood and construction material. Today, a greenbelt of forests and semi-subsistence cultivated land surrounds the city. Spring Conditions and Services Addis Ababa is no paradise for most of its residents and workers. The majority of the population lives in substandard housing and many citizens lack running water or electricity. Unemployment and Economic Conditions
Today, Addis Ababa is in a stage of transition as Ethiopia adjusts to a new free market economy and a democratic government. The end of a 30-year civil war which resulted in the independence of the former northern province of Eritrea in 1993 has further stabilized the capital's economy. Addis Merkato
The situation only stands to get worse as more people flock to Addis Ababa, which is the main market center of the nation. The Addis Merkato, located in the Addis Ketema district of western Addis Ababa, is the primary retail, wholesale and distribution point for the city and the central highlands.

Tips: Be careful the word "Ishi" most annoying !!! I found this word rather unhelpful. Everybody will say "Ishi" whatever you ask the Ethiopians will not hesiatate to say "Ishi". No Offense to my Ethipian friends.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



27th June 2005

Brief history
Because of its indigenous character, and the great legacy of the Abyssinian Empire, Ethiopia and its capital city have become a source of pride for the Pan-African movement. Many African nations followed the lead of Ethiopia (The first independent African nation) upon gaining independence and adopted the Pan-African Colors of the Ethiopian flag, red, green and yellow in their own. This historical significance and the enchanting, mountainous setting of Addis Ababa has drawn more than tourists in the later part of this century as the secretariats of both the Organization of African Unity (OAU) and the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa chose to locate their headquarters here (Brunn & Williams 277). Addis Ababa, Ethiopia is recognized by African diplomats, tourists, geographers and residents alike as one of the world¹s most problematic, yet fascinating and beautiful cities.
28th June 2005

Salvador Bahia, Brazil Feb - Mar 2004
On Carnival time in Bahia Brazil, 24th February 2004 I took a tour from Salvador to the Island of the Monks. This boat I am on was full of Brazilian people, other South Amaricans and other tourists from Europe and North America. The Captain of the boat make sure I have enought coco-jelado in stock & right next to me. In Bahia, you do tours from one place to another and dance in the night at Carnival time. If you ever come to Bahia Brazil, don't miss the Island of the Monks. Did you know that duuring colonial times, Salvador was the capital of Brazil. Due to the unevenness of its terrain and for strategic purposes it was built in two levels, a not uncommon occurrence in this country. Salvador is famous for its 365 churches, religious and historical treasures, and also for its beautiful sandy beaches hugging the coast. The African slaves brought their "candomblé" (voodoo) rites to Brazil when they landed in Bahia. Even today, the Candomblé cult venerates many different deities. Bahia food is spicy and flavors are rich. Among typical dishes, the suggestions are: vatapá, caruru, xinxim, sarapatel and acarajé. Famous throughout Brazil, Bahia's "Mercado Modelo", a covered market place where you can take your pick among ceramic, leather and wood craft. Or, if you prefer, have a choice of hand-made hammocks and embroidered articles. Be prepared to do some walking during the day. You would have seen a great deal of the city if you walked four miles, from Farol da Barra, a fort and lighthouse built in 1598, to Pelourinho, considered the finest complex of colonial architecture in Latin America and a World Heritage site. Pelourinho was once the site of the slave market and where slaves were publicly punished. You will climb Ladeira da Barra, a 900-meter long slope going up some 80 meters in elevation, while having a breathtaking view of Baía de Todos os Santos (All Saints' Bay) and Itaparica Island 5 miles to the west. The bay is the largest on the Brazilian coast and was discovered on 1 November 1501 by Americus Vespucci, who America was named after, sailing under Portuguese flag. You must see some of the magnificent churches and cathedrals, rivaling those in Portugal itself when Brazil was still a colony. Gold has been used in some of them, brought from the Amazon Basin in the 17th Century: São Francisco Church with its lavish structure inlaid in gold from floor to ceiling, Conceição da Praia Church and Bonfim Church. Contrary to what is locally believed, in my opinion Salvador is not very well suited for the night-person, as there are better places to go around the world for night entertainment. There are a few discos, bars and theaters in town. Here one could either go to a Candomblé ceremony, watch a Capoeira show or see some famous local groups playing in Pelourinho. You should not miss looking up at the skies at night; you will see constellations that can’t ever be seen from the Northern Hemisphere. You’ll never forget the view of The Southern Cross once you see it! Crime rate in Salvador is much, much lower than in Rio or São Paulo; as an example, in the first four days of March 2003 there were 90 people shot to death in Rio, whereas in the same period in Salvador there was only one case of murder. Having visited Brazil for 3 times in the past 3 years, I was once even tempted to move to this amazing country until recently earlier this year Spring 2005.

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0342s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb