The West Bank at Luxor


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Upper Egypt » Luxor
July 15th 2012
Published: July 15th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Colossi of MemnonColossi of MemnonColossi of Memnon

All that remains of a giant temple. The first ruins you come across as you enter the area.
Left bright and early to escape the heat, and had a driver arranged through the hotel take me across the Nile to the West Bank. This is the land of the dead, and probably the greatest burial ground in Egypt outside of Cairo. During the New Kingdom days, nearly 1,000 years after the pyramids were built, pharoahs typically hid their tombs away in the hills surrounding Luxor, or Thebes. All of this was an attempt to stop grave-robbers.

The main sites are the Temple of Hatshepsut, the Valley of the Kings, the Tombs of the Nobles, the Ramesseum, and the Temple of Medinat Habu. Since the Temple of Hatshepsut in one of the hottest places in the world, I started here, at around 8:30ish. Next it was the Valley of the Kings. This is where Howard Carter found King Tut's burial chambers in 1922, the greatest and most famous finds in Egypt of the 20th Century. I was surprised, though - the tomb is actually very small, just a small shaft underground that opens up to 3 small rooms. Tut's mummy is here, and his sold gold sarcophagus. The Tombs of the Nobles have a more personal feel. You can
Stark Beauty of Hatshepsut TempleStark Beauty of Hatshepsut TempleStark Beauty of Hatshepsut Temple

A highlight of the West Bank. Hatshepsut was the great female pharaoh, with her temple built right up against this rock face.
see scenes of everyday life as opposed to cryptic messages in the royal tombs. Ramesseum and Medinat Habu also great places - the photos speak for themselves.

Came back in the early afternoon and spent a relaxing rest of the day at the hotel. A lot of haggling though in Luxor. You leave the hotel and are surrounded by people asking you for everything - horse rides, taxis, little souvenirs. It's all very harmless, and you can get rid of them with about 20 firm no's, but after awhile it gets just annoying and very tiring. The worst part of walking around in Luxor.

Tomorrow is my last day here. Seeing the final temple in town and another great museum. Then down to Aswan, my very last stop on this entire trip. Getting very tired. Ready to come home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Walkway UpWalkway Up
Walkway Up

Consists of three terraces, with two long walkways. This almost looks modern, doesn't it?
Hathor ColumnsHathor Columns
Hathor Columns

Hathor is the Goddess of Love, and that's her at the top of these two columns.
Interesting HieroglyphInteresting Hieroglyph
Interesting Hieroglyph

See the ankh on the lower right? That's the famous glyph of everlasting life - you always see the Egyptian Gods holding one.
Beautiful PaintingBeautiful Painting
Beautiful Painting

Still at Hatshepsut, on the second terrace.
The Valley of the KingsThe Valley of the Kings
The Valley of the Kings

Heading up the Valley to the main entrance.
Just Inside Just Inside
Just Inside

Can't take photos in the tombs. Tut's tomb is up the road and to the right. There were about 8 tombs open today - most have excellent wall paintings and decorations.
Leaving the ValleyLeaving the Valley
Leaving the Valley

There really is a stark beauty to the place.
The RamesseumThe Ramesseum
The Ramesseum

One of Ramses II's temples. I went mainly because Romantic poet, Percy Shelley's great poem "Ozymandias" was inspired by these ruins.
Fallen PharaohFallen Pharaoh
Fallen Pharaoh

"Ozymandias" is all about a fallen statue of a great ruler, lost in the desert sands - and the foolishness of worldly glory.
Broken Head Broken Head
Broken Head

"Round the decay / Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare / The lone and level sands stretch far away."
Medinate Habu Medinate Habu
Medinate Habu

One of the only fully excavated temples in all of Egypt.
Counting Severed HandsCounting Severed Hands
Counting Severed Hands

Scribes count the severed hands of the dead. There's also one of scribes counting severed genitals.
The Pharaoh as Archer The Pharaoh as Archer
The Pharaoh as Archer

The chariot was largely why the Egyptian army was so powerful. Saw Tut's chariot in the Luxor Museum, which they found in his tomb.


Tot: 0.166s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1271s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb