The Road to Luxor


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Upper Egypt » Luxor
June 21st 2006
Published: June 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

We woke up early this morning to sail to the town of Ferris to transfer from our Felucca to our van that will take us to Luxor. We traveled along a desert highway past small poor villages and people going about there daily life. There were people farming, childern playing, and people traveling to their jobs.

We drove to the Temple of Edfu which was filled to the brim with tourists. There were bus loads of people going thru the temple. This temple still had its roof and the temple was just hugh. At this point in my trip all the temples have been amazing but now they are starting to look similar but how can you not enjoy them.

After the Temple we joined the police convoy of three vehicles to Luxor. Our driver depending on how you look at it was amazing or just nuts. I have not decided yet. To follow the convoy he would weave in and out of on coming traffic. He would dodge donkey carts, people on bikes, the local taxis and would speed along badly paved roads. It was a thrill ride I just won't forget.

In the end my group made it to Luxor were we are spending tonight and tomorrow night. Tonight I am heading over to the Luxor museum which opens up again at 5:00 pm. It is absolutely hot here as I sit in an a/c internet cafe typing this with a bunch of goats eating trash outside. Tomorrow we head over to the Collosus of Memnon, the Valley of the Kings, and the Medina Hapshepsut Temple.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Mr. Toad's wild ride to LuxorMr. Toad's wild ride to Luxor
Mr. Toad's wild ride to Luxor

Inside the van that took us to Luxor. I took the picture as we were passing a local taxis but you can't see the oncoming traffic we barely missed.


21st June 2006

amayzing
All your pictures and details are amayzing to see and read. These scenes look like something out of a movie. Be careful you may unknowingly buy a donkey and the van will be more interesting. HA HA. Stay cool take care as always, love mom
22nd June 2006

Taxis taxis
Just not the same as a NY Checker Cab... Safety whats that... Well enjoy the sights sounds and of course the smells of this trip... Take care...
22nd June 2006

"Indiana Jones, The Rest Of The Story"
Herb, ''...with goats eating garbage outside...'' What a setting for crossing from the old into the new... Talk about a paradox... You are amazing; we read and wonder: "when can I go there?".. See you on the FlipSide... Daniel.

Tot: 0.152s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0585s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb