Ferry to Wadi Halfa


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Upper Egypt » Lake Nasser
January 14th 2008
Published: January 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Overloaded bargeOverloaded bargeOverloaded barge

It was 4 hours of comedy watching them load an endless stream of cargo.
It's a 16 hour ferry ride from Aswan to Wadi Halfa. We arrived at the port at 11am ish and made it through passport control and the various checkpoints and numerous ticket checks and finally got on the ferry for noonish. It's nice, basic, we ended up with an inside cabin, which is actually quite nice, dark and cozy.

We spent the better part of the afternoon on the top deck watching as the barge next to us gets loaded up with various goods including Twinkies. It's absolutely insane, we've tried capturing it in pictures, but not sure if even they can adequately describe the craziness.

Finally the ferry left port at 8:30pm, so it was a good thing we brought all the snacks that we did, because we still had another 16 hours on the ferry, plus the 2 hours sitting in port in Wadi Halfa waiting for passport control to stamp us in.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Chief Box DropperChief Box Dropper
Chief Box Dropper

An official title for an official looking guy.
Our truckOur truck
Our truck

Finally!


24th January 2008

Sudanese Border
I always used to wonder what was on the other side of that border every time I went to Abu Simbel. Very interesting!

Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0372s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb