The Felucca, Town of Darrow, and Kom Ombo


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Upper Egypt » Kom Ombo
June 20th 2006
Published: June 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

We set off for another day sailing on the Nile. Most of the day there was no wind so we just drifted with the Nile's current. We have two stops along the way today and the first was the Town of Darrow. Usually there is a big Camel market there but there were no camels today so we when over to the local livestock market. There were all sorts of water buffalo, goats, doneys, horses, chickens, a few camels, and cows for sale. You had to be careful not get run over by all the pickup trucks in the market. We saw a man testing a doney by galloping it thru the market. Afterwards we went over to the local market area. It was crowded with people and tables with all sorts of things for everyday life.

After leaving the town of Darrow we sailed over to the Temple of Kom Ombo. This is the only Temple on the Nile River and was once a hangout for the famous Cleopatra. We arrived at the temple at a slow time and were the only two tourist in the place. It was great to be the only ones discovering what the Temple had to offer. The carvings on the temple were great. There was also a bath were Cleopatra bathed and the Nile Meter which was used to determine how much tax people should pay in ancient times depending on the floods.

We left the Temple of Kom Ombo and sailed to reach our place to stop for the night. We stopped in a little cove that was next to a farm and was greeted by the children there. This was the last night on the Felucca. When it got dark, I sat up on a hill overlooking the Nile and our Felucca. The sky was clear and you could see many stars. Sitting there with the stars in the sky, the Felucca lit by only candle light, and the Nile floating by is somthing I will always remember.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



21st June 2006

Awesome night
Glad that the night was clear so you can enjoy the views of the stars with the candle light while the Nile is floating - awesome - wish I could be there Ha Have fun also enjoying all your journals

Tot: 0.177s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0835s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb