April 27, 2010


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Upper Egypt » Kom Ombo
April 28th 2010
Published: April 28th 2010
Edit Blog Post

April 27, 2010
Today is the first actual vacation day as today is a day of leisure for some of us. Of our family of 22, nine went to Abu Simbel on an optional excursion ($269). They flew out this morning at 7 AM and are planning to return by 2 PM where we will sail to Kom Ombo.
So since Rick was a little under the weather last night we both slept in and missed breakfast! I was up at 9 AM and spent a great morning blogging and labeling the photos and sending them online. Rick slept until noon and readied himself by lunch at 1 PM
Our day was very pleasant. I sat with some fellow travelers, swapped stories and just enjoyed a very quiet day aboard ship. Our vacation and travels are coming to a close. Tomorrow is our last day aboard ship for soon we leave the MS Miriam and head to Cairo for one more day in Egypt before we leave for home.
Some of the folks went ashore this morning but I stayed aboard. They caught a horse and buggy on their own and for 40 pounds ($8) total for the 4 of them, were taken into town and did some private sightseeing. Ellen, Ian, Annett and Gary stopped at a pub recommended by their driver and all, including the Muslim driver hoisted a cold Stella for 15 pounds each. They enjoyed their free time in the city and came back to join Rick and I for lunch.
We learned that it rains here about once or maybe twice year and then for only a few minutes. The temperature today is warm, about 90 F and very sunny. It is just perfect to be by the pool and watch as the Nile takes us slowly to our destination.
Another traveler’s update:
Rick is now back together having survived a bout of the Pharaoh’s Revenge. Fay and Graham as well as Jim (Cathy’s husband) also have pulled through. Aloma has her clothes and now smiles constantly. Ellen and Ian celebrated their anniversary (the ship was rocking a bit last night) and June celebrated her birthday (it is not polite to ask a lady which one). Fay and Graham also celebrated their anniversary but they were still a bit under the weather, oh well another river cruise next year to make it up!.George is still asking the unusual question but he is enjoying his travels.
Today I shopped aboard ship for some gold and silver. I really thought that the shopping on shore would be best but actually it is not. We of course were told many times by Mo to be careful if we buy something off the ship. Trafalgar will stand behind any item purchased on ship or at a Trafalgar sanctioned shop as being genuine. Other than these places the old adage “buyer beware” governs.
Even though I did look at the shops for gold and silver I really did not see anything I liked or felt was worth the haggling. On the boat there is no haggle and the quality is guaranteed.
So now Cathy, Alla and Lilly have their cartouches!
Cathy has a solid gold cartouche with her name on one side and my name on the other, I know how romantic right! The girls are in silver with their names carved through. Both are beautiful and will last forever as will the memory of this trip.
Before dinner we had a meeting with Mohammed where is provided a lecture on modern Egypt. We learned about the economy, education, politics and general day to day life. It was very interesting and tied together the ancient to the modern.
We decided to add our own optional tour. We will rent horse and buggies for a tour of the city of Luxor. We will then tour the Luxor museum where we will see the royal mummy of Ramses I.
Dinner was “interesting”. That is all I will say as those who were there will understand those who were not it does not matter.
After dinner there was dancing and drinking and fun. I headed to bed about 10 PM and prepared for our last day onboard and the beginning of the end of the tour.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.358s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 16; qc: 63; dbt: 0.1105s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb