Sinai & Alexandria


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Sinai
May 4th 2010
Published: November 27th 2010
Edit Blog Post

May 4

We were up early again to catch the hydrofoil to Sharm El Shek which took a little over 3 hours. a little rough going but all good. We then had to drive about 1 1/2 hours to Dahab to have some lunch at this cute place on the beach. Like I said in the last post I wish we would have stayed here, much more relaxed. The restaurant had a buch of kittens that were hiding under the pillows so you had to be careful not to squish them. We now had a 2 hour drive to St. Catherines where we would get a few hours sleep before having to get up at 1:30 am and climb Mt Sinai.

May 5

No one came to knock on our door to wake us up, luckly I woke up on my own at 1:45 am. Off to climb Moses' Mountain in the dark. A few of our group decided to take camels up to the steps while the rest of us walked. Mohamed our guide was practically running up the mountain. We were all trying to keep up. It took us about 2.5 hours to get to the top which is about 2200 meters with 750 steps at the last bit to the top. What was I thinking, this was hell. There was a nice sunrise at the top but not sure if it was worth it. I practically ran down the mountain to get the hell out of there. On the way down I was almost bitten by a nasty camel and Rhonda was almost thrown over the side by one. Ok, done that, check it off my list. After breakfast we had a look at St. Catherines Monestery and then it was back to Cairo.

May 6

This morning it was off to Alexandria which took about 4 hours from Cairo. There we met up with our guide who showed us the library and Alexandria museum. Alexandria is a port town on the Mediterranian that reminded more of Italy than Egypt. For dinner we went to a great fish restaurant that I found in my guidebook. You got pick your fish and they would grill it up for you. We started out with lots of mezes. One more day in Alexandria and then it was back to Cairo and then home the next day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 58; dbt: 0.087s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb