SAFAGA EGYPT


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Red Sea » Port Safaga
June 16th 2013
Published: June 19th 2013
Edit Blog Post

KARNAK TEMPLEKARNAK TEMPLEKARNAK TEMPLE

With Awesome
TUESDAY 11.6.2013-SATURDAY 15.6.2013
Leaving Dubai was great scenery, looking at the dock over from us sat the old QEII which was going to be used for a number of things but has just been sitting in the harbour in Dubai for sometime, though believe it is being well maintained, sailed past the world islands and out in the Gulf of Oman and then down into the Arabian Sea again hugging the coast alongside Oman and Yemen, bit like a cork bobbing up and down for the last two days - bit rough and the pool was actually closed on Tuesday night as there were huge waves in the pool, the captain assures us the pirates are being kept at bay because of the very rough seas!! We have another formal night tonight (12/6) but have to spruce up as we have been invited to dine with the captain tonight at 7.45p.m. We have been to some great lectures on Egypt and Jordan getting us prepared for our visits there in the next few days. The temperatures are very hot - spent yesterday and today in and out of the pool, having trouble keeping our laps up to 10,000 steps a day as it is so hot, tried going to the gym on the walking machines but whole body just dripping - no aircon in there or doesn't work very efficiently, expecting high 30's and early 40's when in Egypt and Jordan- IVAN - the weight is so, so - the food has been amazing! Went and saw Mentalist, Brent Webb, night before last, he was amazing, direct from Vegas. Can't complain about entertainment has been great with loads of it and plenty of variety.. Off loaded 300 passengers in Dubai and another 300 joining us there. The lady who our group rescued out of the waterfall ditch in Langkawi had to get off in Dubai too as the orthopaedic surgeon in Mumbai says she needs an operation on her broken shoulder - so they were going for the 104 nights but heading back to Sydney now. Our dinner buddies told us last night they became Elite members when they got to Dubai which included free mini bar setup, they ditched it all for WATER (can you believe that) without consulting US!! they have given us their free internet though which was very nice.
Dinner with captain went very well on Wednesday night, his wife joined the ship in Dubai so it was nice to chat with her as well.There were eight of us altogether, Marj and Bill (our Tatura friends) were also with us. Lots of laughs and wine and food laid on!! Thursday washing day, walking and laze by the pool, early show then dinner. Early hours this morning Friday transited through Bab el Mendeb, the narrow entrance into the red sea, now clear of entrance we have Eritrea on one side and Yemen on the other. Arabian buffet lunch today was very tasty. Sat: Sailing the Red Sea, very blue waters but a raging head wind, just about blew me off the top deck today, with Egypt on the left and Saudi Arabia on the right - dock in Safaga tomorrow for our day trip to Luxor and the Valley of the Kings.
SUNDAY 16.6.2013
Had the most brilliant day in Safaga onto to Luxor. Were feeling a little apprehensive as the lecture onboard said all the cruise buses would be in a convoy with police escort but our tour guide (via email) assured us we would be safe!! It was just daylight as we sailed into the port
LUXORLUXORLUXOR

Overlooking the Nile
of Safaga, looking across the bay seeing lots of derelict looking houses and the bald, dusty mountains in the background, off the ship and on our way by 7.15a.m., private tour with just the six of us in a 16 seater bus, our guide Assem (awesome!! he called himself) was just gorgeous and so knowledgable. Our trip to Luxor took us over the mountains and across the moon scape and sometimes looked like a quarry for quite a few klms, very barren nothing growing anywhere, passing little shanties and a couple of wayside stops with donkeys and goats, god knows what they ate as they had their heads down onto the dusty desert. The new roads were pretty good but a few spots where it was just gravel and a bit bumpy and as we got closer to Luxor a few mms out started to see the odd date palm and then plants and greenery as we approached the Nile, all in all a good trip itching 3 hours. First stop the Valley of the Kings - being a private tour got there before all the tourist buses - an amazing site visited three tombs - takes your breath away!! Then onto the temple of Queen Hatshepsut, then to alabaster factory - then a traditional Egyptian lunch, then Egyptian cotton shop. In the afternoon went to Karnak Temple and Luxor Temple which are joined by a canal which is quite a couple of km long and being restored as we speak and will be operational next year to take passengers between the two sites. Again not near enough time to see everything you really could spend a few days here just wandering around the ruins and the soaring columns within the ruins - can't believe that there are 134 columns there still intact and this hall area covering 50,000 square feet - we had to pinch ourselves to believe we were really there!! Started to head back to the ship at about 5.15p.m. - jammed packed day - saw a couple of burnt out cars and a semi jack knifed into the sand on our way back, then an ambulance and a police escort - no wonder there is so many accidents the trip back was very busy on the roads as the trucks head out after sunset as it is cooler and go like bats out of hell. Back onboard 8.30p.m. straight to pizzeria for a quick dinner and bed - we were all pretty tired after walking quite a few kmstoday - the heat wasn't too bad around 32.

Advertisement



19th June 2013

Great Experience.
Read your blog with interest.You NEVER have enough time to see everything, but you fit in all you can for sure. All sounds wonderful,so many places to see, enjoy while you can. Thanks for your blogs love getting them . N.

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 16; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0565s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb