The Forest of the Day


Advertisement
Djibouti's flag
Africa » Djibouti
May 5th 2006
Published: May 5th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The forest of the Day (pronounced dye or die).
During my time with the army I had the opportunity to be part of a training mission that took place in the Forest of the Day. We went up there because the hot season had begun and the best way to escape the rising heat of the valleys was to set up a camp high in a mountain top or plateau.
The forest is at 1500 metres altitude and the day temperatures are more bearable. However temperatures between night and day vary considerably.

We came across some dangerous black and yellowish scorpions hidden under the stones.
(We usually use stones covered with white wash to delimit the camp).
The trees are look creepy; some of them are hundreds of years old and their twisted look makes them scary to look at.
We had a dangerous encounter with monkeys for having entered their territory with no permission. We thought we had tamed them enough by giving them loads of bread every evening as they regularly came to the rendez-vous. Beside we didn’t know where they were during the day and didn’t even mean to disturb or upset them either. We could observe
Old trees of the DayOld trees of the DayOld trees of the Day

Some damaged pictures of mine.
them running between trees and one behind the other. We could hear them too. In no time we were surrounded by a group of angry long dented monkeys ready to attack us. The chef of the group, with its large mane proceeded towards us in an aggressive running manner and stopped at about 70 metres from us showing teeth and anger. It got even closer once we dared looking in the eyes. We began to get uncomfortable, we lowered our glaze and turn around gently, showing them understanding and admittance. They let us leave with no harm. Can you imagine? There was absolutely nowhere to escape had they decided to put us into pieces. Thanks God.
This was the camera I used for all my pictures there.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

The MobThe Mob
The Mob

They are agressive in the wild
camels in the forestcamels in the forest
camels in the forest

Some damaged pictures of mine.


Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0437s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb