"I find America quite boring"


Advertisement
Congo, Democratic Republic of the's flag
Africa » Congo Democratic Republic » West » Matadi
June 19th 2010
Published: June 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


I'll include some highlights of our time in Bas Congo. We spent Monday at Kimpese where my brother Glen was born in 1959. We stayed at IME Guest House where the Hospital is located. The Sunsets were amazing and some women invited us to their exercise class on the campus there. On Monday morning I met with Wendy and 2 Congolese Pastors, one who directs the school at Kimpese and another who serves a church with her husband. It was a very helpful time as we shared our similar stories and also the challenges that we face. They knew their Bible so well and taught me some things !

We had dinner at Kapita's home in Kimpese. He was the cook for my family when they lived at Nsona Mpangu. He has no electricity , but prepared an amazing Congolese meal that we shared by kerosene lamp. He has an incredible personality and he and Charlie had a great time teasing each other. He treated Charlie like the little boy he knew back in the 60's. As Charlie's little sister it was fun to experience Charlie being the one on the receiving end of the teasing!

On Tuesday we traveled to the Mission Station at Nsona Mpangu where my parents spent most of their time as Missionaries. My Dad directed the Secondary School there. The road to get there was horrible, 35 km and it took us 90 minutes. It was sad to see the condition of the home where my family had lived, but again the Congolese were so gracious and kind to us.

We spent the night at Matadi, a major port city and also home to Midema, a flour mill that is owned by the same company my sister Jeanne works for in Kansas City. Jeanne had arranged for a tour for us so you'll lsee some photos of that journey. We also went to a new clinic which is opening for the Midema employees. We traveled back to Kinshasa from Matadi, a long and bumpy journey! The title of my blog is a quote from an American Missionary here that amused me much. For sure life in America bores in comparison to the daily challenges of life here.




Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Mom outside Kimpese HospitalMom outside Kimpese Hospital
Mom outside Kimpese Hospital

Where Glen Raymond entered the world in 1959.
Dinner at Kapita'sDinner at Kapita's
Dinner at Kapita's

Charlie is ready for no electricity with his head lamp
Water Tower at Nsona MpanguWater Tower at Nsona Mpangu
Water Tower at Nsona Mpangu

Charlie and his friend Kapita
English teacher at Nsona MpanguEnglish teacher at Nsona Mpangu
English teacher at Nsona Mpangu

I loved his smile and hat! The woman prepared our lunch and leads the women of the church.
Matadi PortMatadi Port
Matadi Port

Midema company, Seaboard is the division Jeanne works for in KC
Ready for the tourReady for the tour
Ready for the tour

Dr. Mampunza and Dad
Maternity ClinicMaternity Clinic
Maternity Clinic

Named after the founder of Seaboard


19th June 2010

Amazing!
It's truly amazing the story you are living and sharing with us through your blogs and photos. What a wonderful experience. On the other hand, it will be good to know you are "home."!
20th June 2010

Great photos and stories -- thanks!!
Great photos and stories -- thanks!!
20th June 2010

awesome!
Hi Pastor Friend, I just finally got caught up with all your new blog posts. What an awesome time you are having there. I can't wait to see more pictures and hear more of your stories. It all looks incredible!

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0506s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb