Shots and Itinerary


Advertisement
Cameroon's flag
Africa » Cameroon
November 19th 2005
Published: November 20th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Well, I just spent 45 minutes typing an updated entry and somehow managed to delete it... Oh, the joys of technology. Now, just watch, I didn't lose it and it'll appear right before this message when I recheck tomorrow.

This time, you get the abbreviated version. We now have updated passports and visas. I couldn't believe that each visa cost $150! Wow. When you think of taking a trip, you just can't know all the incidental fees. Then, there were all the shots and meds we had to get. My family was covered by Kaiser and so it cost very little but my parents had to pay about $1000 for their shots. Ruth and I had the most to get as our shots were out of date. We had two kinds of hepatitis shots, meningococcal shot, typhoid (now that's your average every day American diease), polio, and Yellowfever. Luckily our tetanus was still up to date!

Then we had to get malaria meds, antibiotics, Immodium AD for traveler's stomach, mosquito repellant for both skin and clothing, and more. Since I am diabetic and dependent upon insulin, I even had to get a letter from my doctor stating that I needed my syringes and insulin on the plane. We had to have a letter of invitation from our relatives there. And a letter from the consulate here telling them why we were coming. They even needed proof that we had return air tickets and enough money to support ourselves why there.

I've begun to drag out the suitcases. Three weeks and one day until we leave. We'll take 21 total bags between the seven of us. Gifts, school supplies, office supplies, games for kids, and more. Oh, our own clothing too. We'll plan on leaving most of the suitcases and most of our clothing in Cameroon.

We are working on a tentative intinerary. Of course, the itinerary won't be set in stone because we're going to Africa. You just have to be flexible. Time is different in Africa and who knows what else might come up. On my husband's last trip, there was unrest in the Northern provinces so they had to cancel their plans and stayed in the south.

Let me tell you a little about what we're planning:

We leave Portland on Monday, Dec. 12, and, after about 24 hours, arrive in Douala, Cameroon. We will drive to Limbe, also on the coast but in the SW Province (like another state ). This where both Joseph and I taught high school in the early 80's. Joe's sister, Patricia, lives in Limbe with her husband, George, and kids George is head of Good Samaritan Ministries in Cameroon. Limbe is near an active volcano, Mt. Cameroon. Maybe we'll try to climb the mountain!

We plan on visiting various local towns and people but I'll tell you a few of the highlights we hope to hit.

Mamfe -- This is where Joe's brother Phillip and his wife Caroline and their children live. Phillip is a doctor.

Bamenda -- In the Northwest Province, Bamenda is a hub of trade and research. Beautiful waterfalls as well.

Mbingo -- The Cameroon Convention runs a leprosy clinic there, touching the lives of many people and helping to eradicate the diease.

Awing -- Joe's village where he was born. Although Joe's parents have passed away, the family still maintains the family compound. Joe is the oldest of 17 children. His father was a polygamist. Some of his sisters still live in Awing along with many many cousins and a few elderly aunts.

Waza -- We hope to go on safari in Northern Cameroon at Waza Park. I was there 23 years ago and saw elephants surround their calves to protect them, giraffes running on the plains, and a herd of hippos bathing in a lake. If at all we can do it, we'd like to go. It's a long trip to get there though. It is also a very different part of the country. Drier. Rock formations. Less developed. Very Muslim. Everything stops three times a day for prayer...

Yaounde -- The country's capitol city.

More to come later...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0485s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb