Meals!


Advertisement
Cameroon's flag
Africa » Cameroon » West » Bafoussam
April 5th 2007
Published: April 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

soya and bread!soya and bread!soya and bread!

Yep, very spicy, salty and tasty. Usually beef, but sometimes mutton, rarely pork. The nordists(Haoussa tribe in the north of Cameroon) are the specialists as they raise cattle.

Meals!

 Africa » Cameroon » Bafoussam By Lucky Traveller
April 5th 2007
Sylvain Kamdem
Heya everyone, These are the photos of a few of the meals you will likely come accross should you come to Cameroon one of these days. I am not especially good at cooking nor interested in culinary art. So none of these were prepared by me. I just came to eat them by chance over the course of my stay in Cameroon. Obviously I forgot to snap many other meals I came across, But I think these are quite representative of what awaits a visitor here as regards food.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

tomato sauce!tomato sauce!
tomato sauce!

The classic tomato sauce.
mixture of ground potatoes and black beansmixture of ground potatoes and black beans
mixture of ground potatoes and black beans

mixture of ground potatoes and black beans crushed together. + some red oil for the color.
pepper soup and ripe plantainspepper soup and ripe plantains
pepper soup and ripe plantains

pepper soup and ripe plantains. + some fish...
local doughnuts + beanslocal doughnuts + beans
local doughnuts + beans

our local doughnuts(beignets) and beans. to make things grander you eat it with maize pap.
AchuAchu
Achu

Yeah... you remember... the delicious achu in Bamenda (the Bamenda blog). It consists of taro, rock-salt mixed with palm nuts' juice and beef(skin part). red wine boosts everything.
A solid breakfastA solid breakfast
A solid breakfast

A solid breakfast.
couscous in the pot.couscous in the pot.
couscous in the pot.

couscous still in the pot awaiting cooking.
couscous and "ncui"couscous and "ncui"
couscous and "ncui"

couscous and "ncui". This meal is very prized in the west province of cameroon. Especially for women who have just given birth. The couscous is made from maize and the "ncui"(local dialect, no french nor english word of my knowledge for it) is the juice of the bark of a specific plant. It is fairly good to me.
fish barbecuefish barbecue
fish barbecue

fish barbecue
braised fish and plantain.braised fish and plantain.
braised fish and plantain.

The plantain was slowly cooked in the embers, which makes it tastier. Notice the small bit of plantain I dipped in the pepper...
another braised fish and "Bobolo".another braised fish and "Bobolo".
another braised fish and "Bobolo".

This time some braised fish and "Bobolo"(the white stuff). The bobolo is made from cassava.
melon's seeds saucemelon's seeds sauce
melon's seeds sauce

this sauce is made from melon's kernels dried and crushed into a whitish powder.
fufufufu
fufu

fufu (from dried and crushed cassava powder)
Mbongo tchobiMbongo tchobi
Mbongo tchobi

plantains, cocoyam and Mbongo tchobi(the black sauce). I frankly have no idea how they prepare the mbongo tchobi.
crushed red cocoyam and crushed-groundnuts soupcrushed red cocoyam and crushed-groundnuts soup
crushed red cocoyam and crushed-groundnuts soup

crushed red cocoyams(the light-green stuff) and crushed-groundnuts soup. This meal also is particularly delicious.
cabbage sauce, plantains and cocoyamcabbage sauce, plantains and cocoyam
cabbage sauce, plantains and cocoyam

cabbage sauce, plantains and cocoyam
The black fruitThe black fruit
The black fruit

The black fruit. It tastes somewhere between butter and plums. Couldn't get enough... ...Hey Hernandez, Do you recognize that T-shirt? :)
rice and tomato saucerice and tomato sauce
rice and tomato sauce

The classic rice and tomato sauce. + some fish
The good old mushroomsThe good old mushrooms
The good old mushrooms

The good old mushrooms. I had nearly eaten everything before I remembered to take the picture(sorry about that...).
MangoesMangoes
Mangoes

After some good meal, these mangoes happened to be hanging around my way. So I picked up some of them and... I snapped the rest.
EruEru
Eru

This is one the best meals I ate throughout my stay in Cameroon. It is the mighty "eru". It originates from the anglophone zone of the country. However my knowledge of its preparation is a bit obscure. I think they do it with some leaves collected from the forest trees. Check the next pic to see what goes with this marvel...
WaterfufuWaterfufu
Waterfufu

Waterfufu is the special complement of "Eru". It is similar to fufu, but here the cassava powder is kept wet before the preparation. I think waterfufu tastes better than fufu.
That's it.That's it.
That's it.

That's it.


Tot: 0.214s; Tpl: 0.029s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1438s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb