Zimbabwe and Botswana


Advertisement
Botswana's flag
Africa » Botswana
May 18th 2008
Published: May 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We have had limited access to internet since we have arrived in Botswana. The experiences are incredible. Just this afternoon while sitting by the pool we could hear elephants in the distance bellowing. On the horizon we could see a whole herd walking single file. We went in for lunch and the poor waitresses (porters) spend the whole time shooing the monkeys away. They are always trying to make up with some morsel of our food. I tried to shoo one off yesterday and she challenged me and stole my napkin. I sure wasn't expecting that! Today while walking down to our cabin (#5) the couple from #3 came to us and said don't go down there, an elephant is blocking the way. We couldn't resist - sure enough just down the path a massive male elephant was eating his way through the forest right outside the cabins. A male impala had come up behind us and snorted to alert the females we were there, scared the bejesus out of me. We have been fortunate to see herds of elephants, zebras, impalas and other antelope. Last night we saw 3 hippos. We can hear them snorting every night but cannot see them. I guess they are very dangerous and territorial so we cannot get too close. I will try to upload a couple of photos but it is unbelievably slow. We leave here tomorrow and go to CapeTown - I know the internet will be much faster. We have been out on the water a couple of times - even the little reed frogs are beautiful.
Wish you all could experience this, will write tomorrow night.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0487s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb