World Aids Day - CWB Botswana Postscript


Advertisement
Botswana's flag
Africa » Botswana » South-East » Gaborone
November 30th 2009
Published: November 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

World Aids Day - CWB Botswana Postscript

A month ago we returned from sunny Botswana - and it feels like it hasn’t stopped raining since ! Tuesday 1st December is 2009 World Aids Day so we thought it appropriate to record a few thoughts.

The CWB BotsWanabees re-assembled at the Meerkat’s burrow to chat about the experience and attend the world premiere of the all the video footage that was shot during the trip. Well nearly all of us - regrettably Mikey G could not escape from darkest Dorset for evening. However he was present in his larger than life form on the big screen where his uncanny ability to ‘sense’ when the camera was on him was noted by all !

Mike and Veronika have been busy selecting and editing our own footage and assembling it with some ‘appropriate‘ captions and musical accompaniment. Meanwhile Veronique had charge of the complete set of photographs and has done a similar job building some enhanced slideshows. Hopefully we will be finding ways to post some of the footage to a wider audience in weeks to come. There is no better illustration of the enthusiasm, spirit and willingness to learn of the teachers and children of Botswana.

We also had a chance to look at at footage shot and assembled by Raphael - the BCA's resident cameraman. This was interesting for a couple of reasons. Firstly the inter-cutting of material was somewhat eccentric at times. Secondly, whilst we were familar with most of the events he filmed, also included were some interviews with the teachers which we had not witnessed. So it was gratifying to hear them all say they want us back next year for even longer.......

Thanks to Allan!Allan!Allan! Meerkat for the use of his burrow and for organising the Chilli and to ‘Miss France’ for bringing a great cake ! Looks like we'll be back together again around the end of January when we can compare notes with the teams who visited Kenya and Rwanda.

However the underlying reasons for our trip still remain - Botswana still has one of the highest % of the population living with HIV/AIDS. Based on current statistics of the 1300 kids we coached, around 300 could be living with HIV/AIDS now or in the future - of the 60 odd coaches we trained - 15 could be similarly affected.
Boy at the Tlokweng SOS VillageBoy at the Tlokweng SOS VillageBoy at the Tlokweng SOS Village

Our closest encounter with the the victims of HIV/AIDS epidemic in Botswana came at the SOS orphans village at Tlokweng
The most recent UNAIDS AIDS Epidemic Update 2009 was published a few days ago. This wide ranging report can be found at

AIDS Epidemic Update 2009

but here are some quotes with specific reference to Botswana and Sub-Saharan Africa.

The report, released today by the Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS) and the World Health Organization (WHO), highlights that beyond the peak and natural course of the epidemic—HIV prevention programmes are making a difference.

“The good news is that we have evidence that the declines we are seeing are due, at least in part, to HIV prevention,” said Michel Sidibé, Executive Director of UNAIDS. “However, the findings also show that prevention programming is often off the mark and that if we do a better job of getting resources and programmes to where they will make most impact, quicker progress can be made and more lives saved.”

“…….Many countries have taken steps to increase utilization of HIV testing services. Among countries for which testing utilization data are available for
2008, the highest number of tests per 1000 population was reported in Botswana (210),………”

“…….In Botswana, where antiretroviral therapy coverage exceeds 80%!,(MISSING) the estimated annual number of AIDS-related deaths has declined by more than
half—from 15 500 in 2003 to 7400 in 2007—while the estimated number of children newly orphaned by AIDS has fallen by 40%!…(MISSING)….”

“……..Likewise, the percentage of 20-24-year-old antenatal clinic attendees who were HIV-infected in Botswana fell from 38.7%!i(MISSING)n 2001 to 27.9%!i(MISSING)n 2007……...”

“……..As services to prevent mother-to-child transmission have been brought to scale, the annual number of new HIV infections among children has declined fivefold in Botswana, from 4600 in 1999 to 890 in 2007……”



Much work has been done, and there are signs for optimism, but there is more to do….....


Advertisement



1st December 2009

Re AIDS day
Very interesting statistics. The report that I have just read (supplied by BONASO) was dated 2008 and used statistics from 2007. Encouraging progress, but still 27.9% HIV infection in antenatal attendees - a pretty high number. Incidentally, I have not received an reply back from an Email I sent to BONASO over a week ago. If orgamisations are offered help, surely they should have the decency to reply? I have worn my ribbon with pride.

Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0501s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb