Chobe NP, Botswana


Advertisement
Botswana's flag
Africa » Botswana » North-West » Chobe National Park
July 31st 2012
Published: August 1st 2012
Edit Blog Post

We left our backpackers place at 7:00 to drive to the Botswana border. It was about a 45 minute drive. After the Zambian exit visa, a short boat trip to cross the Chobe River and a Botswana entry visa, we had a 10 minute drive to the park entrance and breakfast.

Botswana has over 120,000 Elephants and over half of them are in the Chobe NP. The morning was a launch trip on the Chobe River which is the border between Botswana and Namibia ... Namibia's Caprivi Strip to be precise. In fact, 4 countries meet pretty well at the same place - Zimbabwe, Zambia, Namibia and Botswana. The Chobe River becomes the Zambezi River at Victoria Falls.

The wildlife come right to the water and many are resident on the islands in the river, during the dry season. The Chobe NP is about 11,700 square km. We saw many Elephants, and also Cape Buffalo, MacDonalds Impala, Water Buck, Hippos, Crocs, Wart Hogs, Herons, Fish Eagles, Storks, Guinea Fowl, Bee-Eaters, Water Monitor Lizards, and a Python.

Never heard of MacDonalds Impala? Well, that was our guide's name for them ... because they are fast food for the lions. And the lion pride is hungry again, soon after a kill.

The launch trip stopped at the base for lunch and then We did a game drive and saw the same animals as in the morning plus many giraffe, Kudu, Sable Antelope, and some zebra. Zebra are not that common in the park, and we were lucky to see them near the river edge. We saw no lions nor leapards. The big cats are usually found at dawn and dusk, which means an over night stay at the park. We were only on a day trip.

We were back at our backpackers home by 17:50, after purchasing another Zambian entry visa. Botswana is visa free for citizens of the commonwealth, except Indians and Sri Lankans. Go figure.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Giraffe with ZebraGiraffe with Zebra
Giraffe with Zebra

Girafe can see far, Zebra can hear well. Sorry lions ...


Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0989s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb