Botswana!


Advertisement
Botswana's flag
Africa » Botswana » North-East » Francistown
May 15th 2008
Published: May 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Botswana - Francistown and Nata



After being really surprised by Joburg, we were really looking forward to Botswana. We stopped over in a place called Rustenburg to get to Botswana, which wasn't all that nice, so we went to the pics to see Keanu Reeves and Forest Whittaker. We then did a really long drive the next day across the border and up to Francistown, which was about 600km.

Immediately, Botswana feels very different to South Africa. For a start it is a lot hotter, but also feels a lot more haphazard and African, if that makes sense. We stayed the first night in a lovely hotel by a dry river bed, so our time here started to feel like a holiday from our holiday!

We didn't do much in Francistown, other than chill out, so the next day we headed up to Nata for 2 nights. This is another 300km north west of Francistown. Here we stayed at a place called Nata Lodge, which was really peaceful and again felt more like being on holiday rather than travelling. Nata is known for its salt pan and flocks of flamingo and pelicans in the wet season, so we headed out into the nature reserve for a few sunset drinks, which was lovely and relaxing. We expected the pan to be dry at this time of year but it was actually a 46km long lake, which only dries up in October, so a bit of a surprise! It reminded Lynne of a very big Pennington Flash!

The rest of the time we spent reading by the pool, eating and generally relaxing. The hotel also had a resident Bush Baby, that jumped from a tree to a feeding platfrom. Unfortunately we weren't quick enough to get any pics.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Another sunset at NataAnother sunset at Nata
Another sunset at Nata

Very like Pennington flash!


Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0907s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb