Back To Buenos Aires


Advertisement
Published: May 17th 2024
Edit Blog Post

We are now back in Buenos Aires. There really isn’t much to blog about for yesterday, basically just a travel day. The flight back over the Andes seemed much less than when we flew into Santiago. The mountains also seemed much steeper.

We at least had more comfortable seats, it was a true premium economy two seats to each row. The food they serve on the plan (if you can call it that) is horrible. The best I can describe it is very bad grade school cafeteria food. I know that anyone who went to school in the Portland Metropolitan area will understand what I am about to say. On the rare occasion we go hot lunch in school, there was also a staple item on the tray. A butter sandwich. White sandwich bread (probably Wonder Bread) crusts cut off slathered with butter. What they served on the plane was basically that, the only difference was a very thin slice of something that I think was supposed to be ham. The first flight I took a bite, and that was all a bite.

Arrival at the airport in Buenos Aires, was pretty straight forward. We did not get a jet way, but again walk down the stairs to the tarmac to the waiting bus. I am not really sure what the point of the bus was it basically went about 50 feet to the terminal. Immigration was fairly quick, would be quicker if people paid attention to the very clear signs that says what booth your to go to next. It flashes, rings, and says the number, yet people just stand their like deer in the headlights. If you have kids, you for some reason get priority above everyone else and have a special lane. Sure, give the parents that had the screaming kid on the entire flight priority to get through immigration.

On the recommendation of the hotel, we took a car service (Tiendalion) back to our hotel. It is a set price and no matter how long you sit in traffic you know the fair up front. We were welcomed back by the bellman, and the concierge was right there to see if there was anything we needed. Before we went up to the room, I had to bring our room current, we need to pay every 7 days because we are staying so long.

The rest of that evening, Jerry unpacked and resettled into our suite and I worked, for 4 hours, on a huge estate tax return. My work laptop has a tiny screen, so a year ago I bought a bigger travel screen, it is still pretty small. In order to review the return, I had to use hour HMDI cord and turn the TV into a monitor. It was quite the site, monitors all over the desk and the big screen with a tax return on it. I got the work done, not without a bit of stress. Then it was time for a well deserved glass of wine.

We did go to dinner. It is basically was only the second dinner outside of this hotel we have had while in Buenos Aires.

Don Julio

Our dinner reservation was at 10:30, it was the earliest we could get and I tried for weeks before we ever left. The concierge in fact called when we first got here to try and get us in earlier, but no luck. When we got there, you could see why. The place was jamming. Don Julio is a typical Argentine Steakhouse, if your not there for beef, then I am not sure why your there at all. Yes, there are other options, one pork dish and some vegetables.

We took an Uber, yes I know, but I am deleting the app as soon as we get home. As we got out of the car, the people were lined up all over the place waiting to get in. We checked in at the front desk and then waited. They have a trick to make the wait (even with a reservation) go by quickly. They keep the sparkling wine flowing (gratis) and every 10 minutes or so come buy with a plate of hot empanadas. The most amazing thing was that the hostess, remember every person face. When it was your table was ready, she didn’t yell out your name, she came and found you in the crowd. If that was my job, I would be seating the wrong people all the time.

This is one of the most famous restaurants in the city, locals and tourists flock to it. Including over privileged college boys. While we were waiting we were standing next to three trust fund college boys, the conversation was so, well it was just typical. All about how they are going to get rich being investment bankers, or whatever. One had the audacity to say, “oh it isn’t about the money, but I am going to start my own fund.” Ok dude, you just don’t get out of college and start your own hedge fund. And if that isn’t about the money, I don’t know what is. Another one was liking the sparking wine “oh it’s so carbonated,” no they did not carbonate the sparking wine, that is called the method champenoise. Well at least they are traveling, even if they are the exact type of travelers that give US citizens a bad rap.

It was time for us to be seated and fortunately we got inside. There were a lot of tables outside and while they had heaters, they also provided blankets. Didn’t really want to eat dinner wrapped in a blanket. We were seated in a nice quite backroom. It was very inviting and finally felt like we were actually having a vacation dinner.

We kept it very simple, we split a perfectly cooked Bife de Chorizo ancho, a very nice New York strip, papas frittas, and some grilled pimentón’s. Everything was seasoned nicely and we didn’t even have to ask for the chimichurri. We also had the best bottle of wine for the trip. 100% Cabernet Franc.

We had a very nice leisurely dinner and ended with helago dulce con leche (caramel ice cream) and a complimentary Flan. It was after midnight by the time we left. We didn’t get to bed until 1:30. Fortunately today is a late day with the first activity not until noon, so we slept in.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Bife de Chorizo AnchoBife de Chorizo Ancho
Bife de Chorizo Ancho

Dish of the Day



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0398s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb