Our First Underwater Adventures / Nuestras Primeras Aventuras Submarinas


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia
November 1st 2006
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Airlie Beach --> Noosa Heads


We arrived in Airlie Beach with 2 objectives in mind: to visit the Whitsunday Islands and take advantage of our PADI diving qualification for the 1st time since passing back in June. We wanted to dive on the world famous Great Barrier Reef before it ran out (we were getting close to its Southern end) and, seeing that Mark's ear infection seemed to have relented at last, we headed out there at the earliest opportunity.

After an early start, we headed out to the harbour and were welcomed by the staff "Hawaiian Style" - with (fake) flower garlands - and then set off on a surprisingly long (2 hour) journey out to the reef itself. The company we went with, Fantasea Cruises, has built a pontoon anchored next to the reef and it’s from this that all the activities of the day are done. We’d booked to go on the first dive of the day and were therefore whisked off the boat and straight into the changing area to put on our diving gear.

On the journey out to the pontoon, we had got chatting to the company’s videographer, mostly because he was from Blackburn and had a "riiiight strong accent". Funnily enough, he turned out to be married to a Spanish girl!

The dive itself turned out to be a bit of a disaster "technologically speaking". It had after all been 4 months since we qualified, and without practice you do forget an awful lot of stuff. The main thing we forgot was to establish our "neutral buoyancy" when we got to the bottom, which meant that we spent pretty much the whole dive going up and down, up and down, up and down... we were very jealous of our guide who could just sit back as if relaxing in a comfy chair, and look around enjoying the sights. But we did get to see lots of fish, coming in and out of the corals as they went looking for food.

We had bought ourselves a basic underwater camera to try and get some shots, and you can see some pictures of corals here. One downside of diving versus snorkelling is that when you get to a certain depth, the colours start to disappear and you can hardly see the reds (if at all), but we were pleasantly surprised to see we could bring them back out by tweaking the pictures on the computer (with Photoshop for the more technically inclined amongst you). Unfortunately, the pictures of the fish didn't turn out to be very good; it is indeed very difficult to photograph them with a slow-reacting camera, as they don't sit still for very long particularly... a real shame because some of them are very colourful and truly beautiful. It looks like Maria will have to put a "good quality waterproof camera" on her wish list for next Christmas...

Returning to the boat after our dive, we had a bite to eat and then headed out on a "semi-submersible" boat that goes round the pontoon. You basically climb down to the hull of the boat and look through the glass sides out onto the reef below. Not having to worry about any technical aspects this time, we could just sit there and enjoy the ride, it was like looking into a huge fish tank. Although we still prefer to swim with the fish than seeing them behind glass, so we'll just have to get some more practice!

The next day we jumped on yet another boat and went on a "3 island cruise" around the Whitsunday Islands. These are a group of 74 beautiful tropical islands close to the shoreline, which look like they’ve been plucked straight out of an expensive holiday catalogue. Only 8 of them are inhabited.

Our first stop was Long Island, where we went for a short walk and chilled out on a sun lounger under a palm tree, looking out at the sea that was as calm as a swimming pool. Next we visited Hamilton Island, where we had a bit more time to spare, so after lunch and a stroll we hired a kayak for a bit of fun and exercise. We had been paddling along for about 15 minutes when we made a false move and the kayak capsized good and proper! And in we went fully clothed, because we had been too lazy (or should that be too dumb!) to change into our swimming gear. Maria had a laughing fit that went on for about 5 or 10 minutes so Mark just had to hang on to the kayak, feeling rather silly, and wait for her to calm down before we could turn the darn thing over and go back to the shore to dry up. Yes, we did get a few funny looks and a few sniggers when we docked and, dripping wet, changed into our only dry clothing - our swimming costumes.

Luckily with the sun shining on us and the breeze on the boat, we had dried up by the time we got to Daydream Island, our last stop of the day. This is the smallest island in the group (and the one with the most sickeningly sweet name) and one of the top holiday destinations. There is a hotel resort with a very expensive pond - a miniature great barrier reef with some colourful fish, including a couple of sharks and sting rays. Easier to photograph than the ones in the sea, so we've included a small bunch of pictures here; those of you who enjoy animated films (and/or have children/grandchildren) will recognise the blue tang as a famous movie star.

Back on firm land, we visited Lynda, a relative of a relative who moved out there a lifetime ago; both her and her family were very welcoming and we enjoyed a nice afternoon drinking some Australian beer and playing pool in their garden, followed by a lovely
GREAT BARRIER REEF: Still trying to wake up / GRAN BARRERA: Aún a medio despertarGREAT BARRIER REEF: Still trying to wake up / GRAN BARRERA: Aún a medio despertarGREAT BARRIER REEF: Still trying to wake up / GRAN BARRERA: Aún a medio despertar

We did say it was an early start! ********* ¡Ya dijimos que fue un buen madugrón!
meal of freshly caught fish in the evening. We parked Ernie in a corner of their massive garden (a few acres, can't remember how many exactly, but included a small paddock for several horses), and after the daughter warned us we might be woken up in the middle of the night by possums jumping on the roof, we thought we might go looking for them once it got dark (when they get up).

Walking round the garden in the pitch darkness, we saw in the light of the torch a very friendly looking tree frog sitting on a wall, and Maria was busy taking its picture (the one we've attached here) when Mark heard a rustle on the ground just behind us and pointed the torch in the direction of the noise to find out what was making it. Maria was so engrossed in her photography she hadn't heard anything. And then: "Maria, move". "Hang on, I'm taking this picture". "Maria, MOVE". "Yes, yes, just one second, I want to take another one". "Maria, MOVE NOW!!!" "OK, OK!!! What's up!" "Look at this thing behind you!" "Ooooooh, a snake!" Snap, snap, snap. "Oooh, it could be one of those very poisonous ones, let's poke it with a stick and see what it does". And believe it or not, she did poke it with a stick. Only gently, mind you, she is an animal lover after all and didn't want to hurt it (or anger it too much). Luckily the snake decided to slither away as fast as it could manage rather than strike back!

We showed the pictures to our hostess the next day and she wasn't impressed at all, having already lost 3 dogs and even a horse to snake bites in her own garden. She wasn't sure what type of snake it was but thought it looked "like a nasty one". We couldn't resist doing some internet research later and after looking at a few pictures we thought it looked very much like a common brown snake, which is only the second most venomous snake around! Could it be true? Could we have been so close to a near-death experience?!? Well, we had hoped so as this makes for rather a gripping tale, but some time later we wrote to a guy who's meant to be an expert on snakes and he told us it was just a tree snake, which suddenly makes our story a bit boring. We have to say though, we don't think the snakes in the pictures he sent us as a comparison look a lot like ours, so we may still look for a second opinion!

We drove a little bit inland for a couple of days to make a stop at a tiny place called Eungella where we'd read we could see platypuses in the wild. We headed out on a short bush walk to get to their river home and after a short wait we were lucky enough to see a couple diving in and out. We still think they look really cute but we didn't last long there, the bush flies were once more driving us up the wall (and everyone else around us) and we all made a dash for the safety of our cars after a few minutes.

After Eungella we went to visit Lynda's brother, Ted, and his wife Wendy, who live literally in the middle of nowhere (20 minutes down a dirt road). They invited us over for dinner and were very pleased to have Mark's sort out their TV/DVD player setup for them. Ted is a real handyman and sorted out a couple of small things in the van for us, which was rather helpful.

The next day we headed for another spot of diving in Lady Musgrave Island. This included a short walk on the island itself, which is tiny and void of human life, but is however an important breeding ground for several hundred seabirds. Which means the floor is strewn in bird poo and the whole place smells like a birdcage. The beaches are interesting though, being covered in pieces of coral that have died and been washed ashore. The beauty of the island however resides underwater, in the surrounding reef. The waters around the island are very shallow and the visibility in the water was great, we could see a long way and, feeling more confident with our technical skills, we really enjoyed the dive. Not only did we see lots of beautiful fish (including some black clown fish - Nemo's cousins), but just as we were about to go back to the boat, we bumped into a loggerhead turtle feeding on a chunk of coral, which really made our day! It seemed completely oblivious to our presence, or at least completely uninterested!

We continued our way south, passing yet more beautiful beaches on the way. One of them looked just too inviting (near Noosa Heads) and we couldn't resist going in for a dip and a bit of fun with the body board (or buggy board) that had come with Ernie - the only "extra" it came with, actually. We weren't very good at it and got completely thrashed by the waves, which tossed us around in every possible way and pushed us underwater a couple of times, almost stealing our swimming costumes in the process. It was a good laugh and pretty good exercise too!

Well, that's it for now, come back in a few days for our last installment on our Australian adventure.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cuando llegamos a Airlie Beach lo hicimos con dos objetivos en mente: visitar las Islas Whitsunday y sacarle algo de provecho a nuestros carnets de submarinismo, que no habíamos utilizado desde que nos los sacamos en junio. Queríamos ir a bucear en la famosa Gran Barrera de Coral antes de que se terminase (ya nos íbamos acercando a su extremo sur) y, viendo que la otitis de Mark parecía haber desaparecido por fin, allá nos fuimos a la primera oportunidad.

Tras un buen madrugón, llegamos al puerto donde nos recibieron "al estilo hawaiano" - con guirnaldas de flores (artificiales)- y tras un largo crucero de dos horas llegamos al arrecife. La empresa con la que fuimos, Cruceros Fantasea , ha construido un pontón (una plataforma flotante) desde donde puedes bucear, hacer snorkelling, o ver los peces a través de las ventanas de un cuarto sumergido. Nosotros nos habíamos apuntado a la primera sesión de submarinismo, con lo que en cuanto amarró el barco no tardaron dos segundos en llevarnos a colocarnos todo el equipo, y apenas hubo tiempo de sacar la foto esa tan atractiva que ves aquí.

Durante la travesía habíamos estado charlando con el videógrafo, porque le oimos un acento del norte de Inglaterra y resultó ser de un sitio cerca de donde nació Mark. ¡Y más curioso aún es que estaba casado con una chica española! Si es que los hay con buen gusto...

La sesión de buceo resultó ser un poco desastre "tecnológicamente hablando". Y es que 4 meses sin práctica no pasan el balde, y se nos habían olvidado cosas. El mayor problema que tuvimos fue que se nos olvidó establecer la "flotabilidad neutra", y nos pasamos prácticamente todo el tiempo subiendo y bajando, subiendo y bajando, subiendo y bajando... sin saber cómo arreglarlo. Qué envidia nos daba el guía, que se quedaba flotando inmóvil y parecía que estaba sentado en un cómodo sillón, y podía relajarse y disfrutar de las vistas sin preocuparse de nada más. Pero a pesar de nuestra patosería también llegamos a ver un montón de peces, entrando y saliendo de los corales según iban buscando comida.

Un par de días antes nos compramos una cámara sumergible baratucha, para intentar sacar unas fotos (las que veis aquí), aunque no esperábamos gran cosa. Una desventaja que tiene el bucear en ver de hacer snorkelling en la superficie, es que en cuanto llegas a cierta profundidad empiezas a perder colores y apenas ves los rojos, todo empieza a parecer verde y azul. Pero nos llevamos una grata sorpresa al ver que manipulando algunas fotos en el ordenador (con Photoshop para los tecnófilos entre vosotros), pudimos recuperar algunos de esos colores. Las fotos que veis son de corales, las de los peces no salieron muy bien; y es que es la mar de dificil fotografiarlos con una cámara de baja calidad, lenta y sin enfoque, ya que no es que los peces se paren a posar precisamente... una pena porque hay algunos con unos colores increíbles, una verdadera preciosidad. Me parece a mí que en la próxima carta a Papá Noel voy a poner "una cámara sumergible de buena calidad"... a ver si hay suerte.

De regreso en el barco tras el buceo, nos dieron de comer y sin tiempo de hacer la digestión nos subimos a un barquito "semi-sumergible" que da la vuelta al pontón, simplemente te sientas en unos bancos en la base y observas los peces y los corales a través de las paredes que son de cristal. Sin tener que preocuparnos de ningún aspecto técnico esta vez, pudimos ponernos cómodos y disfrutar de las vistas. Aunque seguimos prefiriendo nadar con los peces que verlos tras un cristal, así que ¡tendremos que practicar un poco más!

Al día siguiente nos subimos a otro barco y nos fuimos a hacer un crucerillo por las Islas Whitsunday, parando en tres de ellas. El grupo está compuesto por un total de 74 maravillosas islas tropicales que parecen haberse caído del catálogo de una agencia de viajes. Sólo 8 de ellas están habitadas.

Nuestra primera parada fue Long Island, donde nos dimos un paseillo y nos relajamos en una tumbona bajo una palmera, observando la tranquilad del mar que parecía una piscina. Después fuimos a Hamilton Island, que es la isla con más atracciones turísticas, y así nos dieron algo más de tiempo para disfrutarla. Después de comer y de darnos un paseo, decidimos alquilarnos un kayak, en parte por diversión y en parte por hacer algo de ejercicio. No llevábamos ni 15 minutes remando cuando, sin saber muy bien cómo, nos las apañamos para volcarlo. Al agua patos, y encima con toda la ropa puesta, ya que como vagos (o debería decir pánfilos) que somos, no nos habíamos molestado en ponernos el bañador. A mí me dio un ataque de risa de los bestias que me tuvo colgada del kayak como 5 o 10 minutos sin poder dejar de reirme, y ya empezaba a dolerme todo, sobretodo viendo la cara de Mark que se sentía ridículo ahí en remojo sin poder hacer nada más que esperar a que se me pasara. Una vez se me pasó y alcanzamos la orilla, por supuesto tuvimos que aguantar las miradas y risillas de los otros turistas, a quien les pareció muy divertido ver cómo nos quitábamos la ropa mojada y nos poníamos lo único que teníamos seco - los bañadores.

Por suerte, con el sol y la brisa marina en el barco, ya nos habíamos secado para cuando llegamos a Daydream Island, nuestra última parada. Esta es la isla más pequeña del grupo, pero una de las más populares como destino turístico. Hay un hotel en la isla con el estanque más caro que hemos visto nunca - una barrera de coral en miniatura con una buena variedad de coloridos peces (incluyendo un par de tiburones y rayas). Más fáciles de fotografiar que los del océano, así que hemos incluido algunas fotos aquí; si os gustan las películas animadas (y/o tenéis hijos/nietos), asociaréis el pez cirujano con una estrella de cine famosa.

De vuelta en tierra firme, fuimos a visitar a Lynda, prima de una tía política de Mark que se mudó a Australia hace más de 30 años. Tanto ella como su familia se mostraron muy acogedores; disfrutamos la tarde bebiendo cerveza australiana y jugando al billar en su jardín, y más tarde de una cena de pescado fresco (pescado esa mañana por uno de sus yernos). Aparcamos Ernie en un rincón del gigantesco jardín (de varios acres, no me acuerdo cuántos, pero tenía también una pequeña pradera dedicada a varios caballos), que al parecer atrae todo tipo de bicho silvestre. Aparte de multitud de ranas, a la caida de la tarde aparecieron varios canguros al fondo del jardín, y una de las hijas nos comentó que también les visitaban possums de vez en cuando y que era posible que alguno se nos subiera al techo de la autocaravana y nos despertara en mitad de la noche. Llevados por la curiosidad, decidimos darnos un paseillo por el jardín y salir a buscarlos antes de dormir.

Ya nos íbamos a la cama sin haber visto ninguno, cuando a la luz de la antorcha vimos una rana en un muro con una cara de simpática que no podía con ella (la de la foto), y según me puse a sacarle fotos, Mark oyó un ruido en el suelo y apuntó la antorcha en esa dirección para ver qué era. Yo estaba tan concentrada en mi rana que ni oí ruido ni nada. Hasta que "Maria, muévete". "Espera, que estoy sacando una foto". "Maria, MUÉVETE". "Sí, sí, un momentito, quiero sacar otra". "Maria, QUE TE MUEVAS, ¡¡AHORA!!!" "Vale, ¡¡¡vale!!! ¡Qué pasa!" "¡Mira lo que tienes detrás!" "Ooooooh, ¡una serpiente!" Foto, foto, foto. "Oooh, a lo mejor es una de esas súper venenosas, le voy a dar con este palo a ver qué hace". Y vaya si le di. Bueno, pero sólo despacito, que después de todo sigo siendo una amante de los animales y no quería hacerle daño tampoco. ¡Por suerte la serpiente decidió salir pitando en dirección contraria en vez de vengarse!

A la mañana siguiente le enseñamos las fotos a nuestra anfitriona. No le hizo mucha gracia, pero después de habérsele muerto un caballo y tres perros por picaduras de serpiente, ¡es de entender! No estaba segura de qué tipo de serpiente era, pero creía que era "una de las malas". Así que no pudimos resistir la tentación de investigar por nuestra cuenta y después de mirar y remirar tropecientas fotos en internet, nos pareció que la nuestra se parecía mucho a una serpiente parda oriental (Eastern brown snake), que no es más que ¡la segunda serpiente más venenosa del país! ¿Podría ser que habíamos estado a punto de tener una experiencia cercana a la muerte? Pues bien, así lo esperábamos porque esta versión hace que nuestra historia sea más emocionante... pero cierto tiempo después nos pusimos en contacto con alguien que se supone es un experto en serpientes y nos dijo que no era más que una vulgar culebra arbórea, cuya picadura aunque puede resultar dolorosa no es mortal. Con lo que de repente nuestra historia se convierte en un cuento algo más aburrido. Pero en fin, seguimos pensando que las serpientes de las fotos que nos mandó este hombre (para que las comparáramos con las nuestras) no se parecen tanto a la nuestra, así que ¡estamos considerando pedir una segunda opinión! (es que nos sigue gustando más la primera versión de la historia).

Después de esta aventura nos alejamos de la costa un par de días y nos acercamos a un pueblecillo llamado Eungella, donde habíamos leido que podíamos ver ornitorrincos en su hábitat natural. Nos fuimos a dar un paseillo hasta llegar a la parte del río donde viven, y tras una breve espera tuvimos suerte de
WHITSUNDAY ISLANDS (Daydream Island): Colourful fish / Pez coloridoWHITSUNDAY ISLANDS (Daydream Island): Colourful fish / Pez coloridoWHITSUNDAY ISLANDS (Daydream Island): Colourful fish / Pez colorido

Can anybody tell us what type of fish it is? ********* ¿Nos puede decir alguien qué tipo de pez es?
ver un par de ellos yendo y viniendo. Nos siguen pareciendo una pocholada, pero no aguantamos mucho tiempo, ya que las moscas nos volvían locos (y a todos los otros turistas a nuestro alrededor) y al poco salimos todos por patas en dirección de nuestros vehículos por escapar de ellas.

Después de Eungella visitamos al hermano de Lynda, Ted, y su mujer Wendy, que viven literalmente en la mitad del medio de la nada. Nos invitaron a cenar con ellos y se mostraron más que agradecidos cuando Mark les solucionó el lío que tenían con su TV, DVD y equipo de música (lo habían conectado todo mal y no les funcionaba como era debido). Ted, que es todo un manitas, nos arregló un par de cosillas en la autocaravana en agradecimiento, sólo eran un par de detalles pero nos vinieron muy bien.

Al día siguiente nos fuimos a bucear otra vez, en una isla conocida como Lady Musgrave. El viaje incluía un pequeño paseo en la misma isla, pequeñita y desierta, pero un importante refugio para una gran cantidad de aves marinas que vienen aquí a reproducirse. Lo que significa que todo el suelo está cubierto de caca y el sitio apesta a jaula. Las playas son interesantes al menos, están cubiertas de trozos de coral que al morir se han desprendido del arrecife y han sido arrastrados aquí por las olas. La verdadera belleza de la isla sin embargo está bajo la superficie, en el arrecife que la rodea. Las aguas tienen muy poca profundidad aquí, y la visibilidad es insuperable. Una vez bajo el agua, puedes seguir viendo cosas a muchos metros de distancia, y como íbamos con más confianza esta vez, lo disfrutamos de verdad. No sólo volvimos a ver montones de coloridos peces, incluyendo varios peces payaso negros (los primos de Nemo), sino que cuando ya estábamos a punto de volver al barco, nos encontramos con una tortuga boba comiéndose un trozo de coral, ¡esto sí que nos alegró el día! Ni parecía haberse percatado de nuestra presencia, o si lo hizo no mostró ni un mínimo interés. Una maravilla.

Continuamos rumbo al sur, pasando más playas idílicas por el camino. Una de ellas nos resultó demasiado tentadora (cerca de Noosa Heads) y no pudimos resistirnos. Nos metimos al agua con una tabla de "body surf" que vino con Ernie - el único "extra" con el que vino, de hecho. La verdad es que fuimos bastante patosillos y las olas nos dieron una verdadera paliza, nos enviaron en todas las direcciones y nos pegamos varios tragos de agua, y no perdimos los bañadores en un par de ocasiones de milagro. Pero nos echamos unas buenas risas ¡y también resultó ser mejor ejercicio de lo que esperábamos!

¡Volved en unos días para ver la última etapa de nuestra aventura australiana!


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 37


Advertisement

LADY MUSGRAVE ISLAND: Mummy Kangaroo and joey (in the campground) / Mamá Canguro y bebé (en el camping)LADY MUSGRAVE ISLAND: Mummy Kangaroo and joey (in the campground) / Mamá Canguro y bebé (en el camping)
LADY MUSGRAVE ISLAND: Mummy Kangaroo and joey (in the campground) / Mamá Canguro y bebé (en el camping)

This is one flexible Joey, just check out those legs! ********* Este es un bebé bien flexible, ¡fijaos en las patas!
LADY MUSGRAVE ISLAND: Green Turtle / Tortuga VerdeLADY MUSGRAVE ISLAND: Green Turtle / Tortuga Verde
LADY MUSGRAVE ISLAND: Green Turtle / Tortuga Verde

Yes, even though it´s actually brown! (it got its name from the colour of its body fat) ********* Sí, aunque es marrón (es nombre se lo dieron por el color de su grasa corporal)
LADY MUSGRAVE ISLAND: Loggerhead turtle / Tortuga BobaLADY MUSGRAVE ISLAND: Loggerhead turtle / Tortuga Boba
LADY MUSGRAVE ISLAND: Loggerhead turtle / Tortuga Boba

Or at least that's what we think it is! ********* ¡O al menos es lo que creemos que es!


26th March 2007

Que envidia
Este viaje si que me da envidia. Que chulo todos los animalitos que habeis visto debajo del mar y en tierra (menos la culebra!) A ver en cuanto pasen 15 agnos me llevo a las peques alli.
26th March 2007

Dangerous activities
These take me back to the last time I was in the Whitsundays, when I got stung by a stingray on Daydream Island. It was the most painful thing that has ever happened to me (and that includes childbirth)! Serves me right for stepping on it. Avoid paddling at all costs! Had to sit with my foot in a bucket of red hot water most of the day, as soon as it got tepid the pain would start again.

Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 6; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0438s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb