Gluten free in Timor Leste


Advertisement
East Timor's flag
Asia » East Timor » Dili
November 13th 2016
Published: November 13th 2016
Edit Blog Post

This is just a quick note for coeliacs and possibly people with some other food intolerances to hopefully enable them to feel comfortable enough to travel in Timor Leste. I'm not sure how searches work but I hope that this will come up on Google if someone looks for it.

I brought my own gluten free soy sauce, stock cubes, muesli bars (they went quick) and a few cup of soups as an emergency.

In the supermarkets in Dili I found rice or mung bean vermicelli, gluten free spaghetti, soy custard desserts (I don't like soy but they are GF), banana 'chips' for snacking during road trips and of course there's fresh fruit and vegetables available as well as rice everywhere. I've found that some of the fried chicken isn't battered, only seasoned and fried in oil. I was avoiding it but then found it was 'safe' for me at least, except in one place in Maubisse. But I also seem to react to MSG which is in heavy use here. On the streets outside of Dili you'll find a lot of grilled fish (I think it's mackerel) which I don't like but that's me being fussy.

International food is widely available in Dili, as long as you're willing to pay for some of it. Korean, Indian, Japanese, Indonesian, Thai, Cuban, Portuguese, Malaysian, and that's just off the top of my head. So here's a list of a few I've eaten at personally

~ The Satay Shack (Dili) has chicken, beef, lamb and prawn skewers for between $3 and $5 (for 6 skewers), served with cucumber and onion. I'm told they make a mean mashed potato that isn't on the menu but they will prepare for you (I've had no luck though). While I'm not sure precisely what is in the peanut sauce, I didn't react. Great place on the beach road.

~The Beachfront Hotel (Dili) is run by an Australian couple that also incorporates a cafe/restaurant in front. When we went for cider I found a homemade gluten free chocolate and beetroot cake, an orange polenta cake and bliss balls (energy balls). Kathy also makes gluten free bread (from an Australian brand packet) to accompany their menu.

~ Dive Timor Leste (Dili) had their kitchen staff use my gluten free soy sauce to prepare lunches while I was diving. I think the upstairs Castaways restaurant and bar uses the same kitchen so I'm sure they could do the same.

~ Pousada de Baucau (Baucau, obviously) has very high standard food in their restaurant. While it's one of the more expensive places in the country, steaks are 'only' $10-11, were cooked the way we requested and came accompanied with delicious boiled potatoes and a huge side salad. Skip the way overpriced wine (even though it's lovely) or bring some with you from Qulina in Dili.

~ Qulina supermarket is owned by the lovely Vasco who stocks a huge and varied range of dry cake mixes, bread mixes, crackers, lots of different cookies and biscuits. There's also a great selection of Portuguese and Australian wine (the former being cheaper even though it's come further). I also spied Ben and Jerry's ice cream in the freezer although that was a luxury I couldn't justify!

~Pateo supermarket also stocks gluten free pasta. I saw corn flakes made only with corn.

~ The Coffee Nook does great smoothies and fresh juice combos - and if you're randomly reading this and not gluten free, they do Aussie meat pies.

~ Royal Beach Hotel on the coast road has a wonderfully filling Indian pancake dish for $5. I'm sure it has an actual name that I don't know. The pancake is made with a rice and buckwheat mixture (I had an Indian friend confirm this) and comes filled with a potato and vegetable mix. On the side is a dhal sauce, tomato sauce, mint sauce and an unidentifiable porridgey looking one that was the most spicy. Order your coffee downstairs and they'll bring it up to you (don't forget to pay when you leave!)

Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0371s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb