Make A Lounge Visit


Advertisement
Published: May 2nd 2024
Edit Blog Post

You may have guessed that I use the airline lounges whenever possible. Often times, when I have used miles to upgrade to Business Class, a visit to the airline lounge is included. Short of that, I have a Priority Pass, which is part of the Chase Sapphire Visa card program.

In moments of true desperation, with lots of time to kill at the airport, I have purchased a lounge pass. Usually, the foreign airlines have better lounges. I would place Singapore, Air New Zealand, and Turkish Air at the top of the lounges I have visited.

But lately, some of the US airlines have improved immensely, namely the Admirals Lounges of American Airlines, and United Polaris Lounges.

Why? For one, they pour complimentary champagne!! And the food is upgraded.

One of my first and best lounge experiences occurred in Hong Kong. We had to wait all day for a Singapore Air flight back to SFO, after our Cina Airlines flight was delayed/cancelled. We got to spend the entire day in the lounge, with great food. I even shaved and showered between numerous food and meal offerings. We picked a quiet corner, napped often, and enjoyed the fresh sushi and noodles all day long.

Despite Singapore's lounge taking my personal "gold" standard, other lounges have improved. Notably, the US based airlines have really upped their game. United offers the Polaris Lounge, and American offers the Admiral's Club, both quite superior to most airlines now. My basic requirement for a good lounge is rather simple: a comfortable chair, and quiet! I hate lounges full of unsupervised kids, and loud phone talkers. The food and alcohol are just a bonus.

Who fulfills this requirement the best? It depends on the lounge itself, the number of seats, and the configuration. Some lounges offer private rooms, or at least a cubicle where both privacy and quiet are possible. Some of the worst are Chicago, DC, Seattle, Denver, Boston, and Dallas. Some of the best are SFO, LAX, O'Hare (ORD), Atlanta, along with Hong Kong, Bangkok, Tokyo, and Sydney. I strongly suggest, if you have a layover of at least two to three hours, that you try the lounge.

Even if you buy a pass, it will be worth the food and soft drinks alone.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0256s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb