Blue icebergs and seals


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » South
August 19th 2008
Published: August 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Titanic icebergs with some imagination! 55 secs
Blue ice and Foxes Glacier mints!Blue ice and Foxes Glacier mints!Blue ice and Foxes Glacier mints!

How many artisistic photos can you take?
Today was meant to be one of the highlights of our trip with a visit to the Jokulsarlon Lagoon. Yes, it was certainly spectacular if you pointed your camera in the right direction but I was expecting a larger lagoon, not quite so near the main road. So I turned my gaze from civilisation and soon I was miles aways amonst the icebergs and yes, seals! The glacier is melting more and more each year so I'm not sure what this place will look in a few years? The blue ice is an illusion and due to the ice being so compressed with no air inside. The boat trip was not long enough for me and I wished we'd had longer there. Once out in the water the boat steadied and there was plenty of time for photographs. Thank goodness for the digital age as each bit of ice looked more interesting than the last or perhaps we were just sailing round the same iceberg. The colours and patterns were interesting ranging from black to striped to white and blue. One or two seals swam up and down and a very laid back one raised his head from a small flow of ice for a perfect photograph.(That will come soon )

A piece of ice from the lagoon was shown to us which was between 1,000 and 1,500 years old. It was certainly the oldest meal I'd tasted.




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Final one maybe?Final one maybe?
Final one maybe?

I think this is enough


Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0227s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb